The UFAWU-Unifor can offer you safety and protection while we help you “organize” your workplace.

Things to Consider:

  • Are people not being treated fairly?
  • Is there favouritism for callout or better jobs?
  • Are your wages lower than they should be?
  • Is your benefits package poor or non-existent?


1. Talk it over with a few trusted co-workers.

2. Contact UFAWU-Unifor.

3. Union staff will give you the tools and help talk to other plant members or boat crew about joining UFAWU-Unifor.

4. Once more than 50% sign a Union Card, then we apply to the Labour Relations Board for a vote. Many times, everyone on the plant floor can vote, (except management) but sometimes the workers and the Union will decide to represent only a portion of the plant. On a packer, every Tenderman gets a vote.

5. The Plant or Vessel is certified if workers vote YES to UFAWU-Unifor representation.

6. Plant workers or Tendermen elect their negotiating committee and the committee and the Union negotiate a FIRST Collective Agreement.