The UFAWU-Unifor can offer you safety and protection while we help you “organize” your workplace.
Things to Consider:
- Are people not being treated fairly?
- Is there favouritism for callout or better jobs?
- Are your wages lower than they should be?
- Is your benefits package poor or non-existent?
1. Talk it over with a few trusted co-workers.
3. Union staff will give you the tools and help talk to other plant members or boat crew about joining UFAWU-Unifor.
4. Once more than 50% sign a Union Card, then we apply to the Labour Relations Board for a vote. Many times, everyone on the plant floor can vote, (except management) but sometimes the workers and the Union will decide to represent only a portion of the plant. On a packer, every Tenderman gets a vote.
5. The Plant or Vessel is certified if workers vote YES to UFAWU-Unifor representation.
6. Plant workers or Tendermen elect their negotiating committee and the committee and the Union negotiate a FIRST Collective Agreement.